Friday, May 23, 2008

Over the Hill



This cake was made for a guy that just turned 40!

His fiance wanted an "over the hill" cake that sort of depicted his profession, he's a semi-truck driver.

This is a 1/4 sheet cake with the wonder cake mold on top as the mountain. They are all chocolate fudge cakes with french vanilla filling and vanilla buttercream.

The trees are made from pretzel twists, fondant and royal icing. The "road" is a piece of fondant, the rocks are raisinettes, the truck is real and the signs are paper.

This was a fun cake to make and I have to say that it looks pretty good for a cake that I DROPPED. Yes. I dropped this cake. Only one part was unsalvageable and we cut off the end of the front (where it hit) to give it a sloped look. I have never been more mortified in my life! And I just want to reiterate that only one part of this cake actually touched the ground and that part was cut off completely. I'm kind of glad it happened though - I think it turned out pretty great!

Because I can never choose between the pictures...

7 comments:

Pill Box Tales said...

This is super cute! Good job.

Melissa said...

oh wow! I love it!

Katie said...

That looks awesome - I love the detail on it. :)

My Sweet & Saucy said...

What a stressful situation...if you would've have said I would never have known. The cake is fantastic!

Travis Swann Taylor said...

That's the best "over the hill" cake manifestation I've ever seen....you're brilliant!

Steph said...

You guys are so nice, thanks for the comments! This was actually a pretty fun cake despite the mishap!

Amber said...

I like this one...